St. Margaret's Hope
The Workshop and Loft Gallery in St Margaret's Hope offers high quality Orcadian knitwear and crafts for sale, and exhibits work from local and Scottish artists.
From 1 September, the Workshop will be open:
Monday, Tuesday Saturday 10.00am-1.00pm.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 10.00am-1.00pm, 2.00pm-5.00pm
- Only 3 customers at one time in the shop unless in an established group eg family. We would prefer it if no more than 4 people in a group would come in at one time.
- The Loft Gallery will not be open. All exhibitions for 2020 have been postponed to 2021. The stairs will be cordoned off.
- Hand sanitiser provided to be used on entering and leaving the shop.
- Face coverings are mandatory and customers without them can buy one in the shop or will be politely asked to leave.
- Baskets to be used, and we are asking customers to wait until a basket is available at the door.
- We would prefer customers not to handle goods unless they are buying them, and to ask for assistance.
- Garments that have been tried on will be quarantined away from the shop floor for 72 hours. Similarly any textile items that have been handled will be set aside. Items with hard surfaces that can be cleaned (such as pottery, jewellery, books) will be cleaned before being put back on display .
- Payment by card
- Staff will be cleaning surfaces that customers touch frequently, eg door handle. Staff will be wearing face coverings and will remain behind the protective screen at the counter as far as is practicable
- There will be notices reminding customers and staff to maintain physical distance from each other and other guidelines
We are a craft producers' co-operative that was set up nearly forty years ago for the purpose of selling the work of a group of local craft workers. Since then we have grown and diversified to include the Loft Gallery above the shop and to sell a wider range of goods from local and Scottish makers.
Our unique knitwear is hand-knitted using beautiful soft-coloured yarns in patterns reflecting the sea and the island way of life. The range includes jumpers, jackets, scarves, hats and mitts. It is produced using yarns from North Ronaldsay and Iceland as well as luxury Italian yarns made from merino, cashmere and alpaca fibres.
Complementing our own knitwear are garments from other island producers. These include Quernstone and Hume Sweet Hume from Orkney and Neilanell from Shetland. The range of textiles on sale in the Workshop includes Isle of Auskerry throws, rugs, knitting kits and yarn; Island Design bags and purses; scarves and snoods from Mary Smith and Hilary Grant. We have cushions from Fiona Firth and Marram Studios and our textiles include tea towels from various producers.
We have hand-made pottery too, from Fursbreck Pottery and Westray Pottery in Orkney and stunning wood-fired pieces from John Christie at Blackhills Pottery near Elgin.
Orkney's jewellers are represented with pieces from Sheila Fleet, Alison Moore, Orkney Bracelets, Fluke Jewellery and Bakau Beads.
Visual arts too are available. Prints by Louise Scott, Jennie Baines, Bert Simpson, Sharyn Crossley, Christina Sargent, Tracey Hall and Edwin Rendall are complemented by cards from many artists and photographers. During the season the Loft Gallery mounts exhibitions of work by local and Scottish artists. The Gallery is much sought-after by artists who appreciate its intimate, light-filled setting for their newest work.
As well as the work mentioned from some of our foremost crafts people you will find lots of pieces we think you will like as much as we do, so come to visit us in Front Road, St Margaret's Hope end enjoy browsing all we have to offer.
February: Monday - Saturday 10:00 - 13:00 March - December: Monday - Saturday 10:00 - 17:00