St Margaret's Hope
The Ruff is a traditional Orkney stone cottage which was the former harbour masters house at the entrance to the sheltered bay of St Margaret’s Hope on South Ronaldsay.
It has a superb location with the sea on three sides and it is accessed by a winding single track along the foreshore. It provides the ultimate in peace and quiet but is also within easy walking distance of the village shops, pub, and golf course. It is a very pleasant walk - sheltered and tree lined along the shoreline.
The house has been well insulated and sensitively modernised to a high standard with Orkney flagstone and wood flooring. A large ‘sitooterie’ with plants provides a pleasant breakfast room as well as space for drying off wet weather gear and/or bicycles. It provides spacious accommodation and is comfortably furnished for four people. Stoves provide additional warmth on the coldest of days but electric storage heaters (panel heaters in the bedrooms) adequately keep the house warm.
- Kitchen dining room with built-in oven, hob, and built under fridge with freezer compartment, microwave and dishwasher. Laundry facilities are available on request.
- Bathroom with bath and hand spray (sorry no shower),
- Sitting room
- Double bedroom with king size bed
- Twin bed room (A cot is also available if requested )
- Outside there is ample space for children to play either on the front lawned area or on the rocky beach. The stone paved entrance courtyard/patio is enclosed. At low tide access is available to the beacon lamp, which warns shipping off the shallow ‘ruff’.
- Private slipway to launch a dingy if desired and
- Ample car parking.
- Bed linen and towels (not beach towels) provided
- Heating inclusive