The Orkney Museum tells the story of Orkney, from the Stone Age, to the Picts and Vikings, right through to the present day
The Museum’s collection is of international importance and the archaeology collection, which includes artefacts and environmental material from all periods of the island’s prehistoric and early medieval past is recognised as being nationally significant.
The museum is housed in Tankerness House. The North and South wings of the house were originally manses for the Cathedral clergy. After the reformation they were bought by Gilbert Foulzie, the first Protestant minister, who in 1574 built the arched gateway that bears his coat of arms. For three centuries this house was the home of the Baikie family of Tankerness, whose estate gave the house its name. It opened as a museum in 1968 and is an A-listed building. The Baikie Library and Drawing Room gives the visitor an idea of how the house looked when it was a family home.
An excellent introduction to history of Orkney.