The 900-kilowatt turbine on Kingarly Hill is expected to provide an income of more than £2 million over a 20-year period, an income which will be used in the best interests of our community.
The Development Trust 's aims are to improve the quality of life for the islands ' inhabitants of all ages, in ways that are both sustainable and environmentally sound. More specifically the Trust is aiming for:
- A balance of population of all ages
- Vibrant economic activity with a range of job opportunities on the islands
- An increased population
- A range of affordable housing options
- Regular and affordable transport on and between the islands and between the islands and the Orkney mainland
- Self-sufficient in energy, resources and vital services
- Good community facilities such as schools, health, sports, postal services, shops and hospitality trades.
- Promotion of our islands ' resources and produce
- Enhanced local care for our elderly
- Improved facilities for our youngsters
- Maximised benefits of tourism within the ecological limits of our islands.