This stone structure helped mariners safely navigate Orkney's northern peripheries.
Although the north end of North Ronaldsay is dominated by the newer lighthouse, the Old Beacon remains a striking landmark in this otherwise flat island. The Grade A listed building's light was first lit in 1789 after being built by stonemasons from Leith.
The 70 foot tower was constructed with local undressed stone and was in active use until Start Point Lighthouse in Sanday become operational in 1806. In the mid-1800s the Old Beacon's newer cousin was built, bringing a lighthouse back to this part of North Ronaldsay.
Although the beacon is closed and currently covered in scaffolding, it's still well worth taking the time for a closer look. The surrounding land features former kelp pits and crues - small walled gardens formerly used by islanders to grow vegetables.