Iona Cottage on the Orkney island of Shapinsay lies a pleasant 25 minute crossing by ferry from Kirkwall. The MV Shapinsay carries vehicles and passengers and operates a regular service throughout the year.
Iona Cottage is situated at Elwick Bay on the south of the island only a few minutes away from the pier, the village shop and post office and Balfour Castle.
Iona cottage gets its name from the SS Iona which plied to and from the island for 70 years until her service came to an end when she sank at Shapinsay pier during a storm in November 1964.
Iona Cottage provides comfortable, spacious accommodation for up to 6 people and comprises of –
- One double bedroom with en-suite shower room
- Two twin bedrooms with en-suite toilets
- Television in each bedroom
- Bathroom with bath and separate shower cubicle
- Sun porch with wonderful views over Elwick Bay and towards Kirkwall
- Fully fitted kitchen with family dining area
- Utility / boot room with sink and laundry equipment
'Iona' was completed in 2009 incorporating energy efficient resources where possible. A wind turbine generates electricity for the cottage and ground source heating provides hot water for the underfloor heating. Energy efficient white goods have been fitted in the kitchen design and 'green' consumables such as light bulbs and paper products are used wherever possible.
A range of items can be deposited at the recycling point in the village.
A good range of local produce is available from the convenience store in the village.
- Ensuite bath and/or shower room(s) in self-catering units
- Washbasins in bedrooms
- Hairdryer available
- Bed linen provided on request - free or hire
- Towels provided on request - free or hire
- Television available
- Non-smoking establishment
- Laundry facilities on site
- Washing Machine
- Tumble dryer
- DVD player available
- CD player available
- Private parking
- Garden for resident’s use
- Ground floor bedrooms available
- Short breaks available