Step inside the spectacular ruins of two remarkable residences at the heart of Kirkwall.

In light of updated Scottish Government advice regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19), we have taken the decision to close public access to our staffed properties and offices until further notice.

The medieval Bishop's Palace was built in the 1100s at about the same time as St Magnus Cathedral. King Hakon of Norway died within its walls after an indecisive battle with the Scots at Largs in 1263.
In the early 1600s, the Bishop's Palace was incorporated into a refined Renaissance palace commissioned by Earl Patrick Stewart, one of Orkney's most notorious rulers.

Other Details

09:30 am - 17:30pm

Last admission 17:00

Visitor Attraction - 4 Star LogoGreen Tourism Award - Gold Logo