Getting to Orkney
Getting to Orkney is straightforward, with modern, fast and reliable transport links connecting the islands with the rest of the world.
Orkney is closer than you might think and extremely well connected.
Travelling to Orkney:
- By air – You can fly to Orkney with Loganair and Flybe. Flights are available from Glasgow (80 minutes), Edinburgh (80 minutes), Inverness (45 minutes), Aberdeen (50 minutes) and Shetland (35 minutes); most also have good links to other national airports.
- By car - If you wish to drive, head north to the ferry ports of either Aberdeen, Scrabster, Gills Bay, or John O'Groats (passenger ferry only May-September).
- By sea – There are three main vehicle ferry routes to and from Orkney. NorthLink Ferries sail between Lerwick in Shetland, Hatston in Kirkwall and Aberdeen, with the company also operating the 90 minute service between Scrabster and Stromness. A quicker option again is the Pentland Ferries catamaran, which sails between Gill’s Bay, near John o’ Groats, and St Margaret’s Hope in South Ronaldsay (just over 1 hour).
- By bus - Citylink buses run to Aberdeen, Thurso and Gills Bay, with ongoing ferry connections to Orkney. The Orkney Bus, which travels direct from Inverness to Kirkwall and utilises the John O' Groats passenger ferry link, runs between June and the start of September.
- By train - Travel by train to Aberdeen or Thurso, where you can catch a ferry to Orkney from the harbours listed above. More information on train timetables can be found on the ScotRail or National Rail websites.
Orkney residents are eligible for discounted fares on Loganair, Flybe and NorthLink Ferries through the Air Discount Scheme and the Islander discounts.
Our transport page gives more information about travel within Orkney.
Relocating your business to Orkney:
Moving your business to Orkney couldn't be simpler, with many local shipping and haulage firms offering fast and efficient relocation and storage services. They'll transport and deliver goods from mainland Britain to the islands and can organise shipment from other countries. Transport throughout Orkney, including between islands, can also be easily arranged.
Details of many of the firms which can get your business to Orkney can be found in our online business directory.